Woods in China

aka The Road to Annie - an adoption journey

Saturday, May 12, 2007

First Mother's Day







I can't believe that it's May already! In one sense it seems like I just returned from China with Annie, but in another I can't imagine ever not having her around.

Annie's doing great and it's like she's always been here - even the cat seems to have warmed up to her. Today, they even had a little stare down contest going - and Annie won!

Annie turned 15 months on April 30 - coincidently, that was also when she took her first steps on her own. Now she's refuses to crawl at daycare, and only crawls here when she has to get somewhere in a hurry. I'm in trouble now.

Since the last post, a couple of friends have since went and returned from China, so there's a new group of little ones - all about a month apart. I hope they'll become good friends.

We've also discovered that Annie loves being outside, loves animals, and especially likes cats and dogs. But all animals interest her - though at the zoo, after admiring then new polar bear cub, Annie seemed to take a keen interest in the ball the cub's dad had for a toy. So she's also loves balls - to the extent that she stops what she's doing and intently watches the tv screen if its on a basketball game...

"Book" is another favorite word - she has to pull out almost all of her books every night and crawls into my lap (or Granpa's) so we can read them to her. Repeatedly.

I've never been as tired or as worn out as I am with Annie, but she's the best thing that ever happened to me. I have a whole new appreciation for moms of all circumstances. And on my first Mother's Day, I know I'll be thinking of two mothers, a half world away. I am eternally grateful to the woman who gave birth to Annie and had the impossible task of letting her go. And I'm also thankful to Annie's foster mom, who took care of her for most of her first year and helped her become the self-confident, independent, and caring little baby girl she is today. I'd like them both to know that I'd be nothing without their love and sacrifice. And just as I promised the Chinese officials in Jiangxi, I promise to take care of and love Annie Irene Xusang forever.

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home